Re: Re:TR2 Front Wings and Archeology

To: Don Spence <dspence@oanet.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re:TR2 Front Wings and Archeology
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:54:29 -0400
Actually, a properly built church key will open bottles or cans, and is
essentially a flat stock of metal, about 3/4" wide by 4" long, with a bend
at each end, one end pointy, the other rounded, each with a little pressed
through hook, towards the inside of the bendy part. Round end has little
hook to go under cap and lift, whilst levering against center of cap, thus
removing, and other end is pointy, little hook goes under rim edge of can,
and pointy part pierces tin. Proper usage requires second, smaller piercing
opposite to allow air to enter while fluid exiting large hole. Of course,
these pre-date the "pop top"(either lift or pull tab varieties) and the
screw off cap.

An alternate style of church key is the wire loop style, generally looking
like a very small parachute rip cord handle, often stamped flat on the long
sides, with the product name imprinted. This style is for bottles only.

The term "Church Key" goes way back, and the term developed as a slang,
joking reference to the drinker's need for religion and temperance, and also
as an off hand description  of the item when one was found on a person if
searched by police during prohibition era. I don't know who coined the
phrase.

Of course, if I were to comment about a "John Wayne" would anyone here know
of what I speak?

Scott