Re: Fwd: Car shows- slight rant

To: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Car shows- slight rant
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 04:28:08 -0600
Cc: "[unknown]" <DShoop7572@aol.com>, "[unknown]" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dave Massey wrote:

> Message text written by "Michael D. Porter"
> >I have had, on numerous occasions, arguments, personally and by email,
> with VTR officials regarding this very point--I've felt, for the longest
> time, that the VTR and other regional clubs have depended upon the
> trailer queens for membership and support.
> <
>
> I have felt along similar lines but less strenuously so.  I feel the powers
> that be have made an effort to emphasize the other aspects of british car
> ownership from the requirement of participation in a driving event to
> qualify for the beauty contest, to giving awards for such activities as TSD
> rallye, autocross, hard luck and longest distance travelled.

Yes, we've talked about this before, and with mixed impressions. Since
this matter generated considerable traffic and some heated interest (!),
I wonder if all list members (all Triumph lists and digests) would be
interested in participating in a survey, covering some of the questions
argued over in this past day or so? There's been a lot said by list
participants (including myself <smile>) about what is thought, but not
much examination of the whys.

Would a survey on this, say, through form to email, be helpful to all in
defining what the fun is in showing a car, or what is unpleasant about
doing so, etc.? Are one's complaints about national organizations, or
local clubs? Is the VTR a problem, or are all clubs, any clubs, only
national, only local, and so forth? Is there some aspect of driving and
ownership which is consistently not recognized, or is not helped by
clubs, etc.? What do local and national clubs do right, and what do they
do wrong?

I'd be interested to hear of interest in this among all list members,
and will try to generate the means for enabling such a survey.

Cheers, Dave, and all.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....