Re: Car shows- slight rant

To: DShoop7572@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car shows- slight rant
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 22:54:11 EDT
 ( Wannabe )  Dave     DShoop7572@aol.com writes:

( Some stuff cut)
<< Again I parked my TR4a out in the lot with the riffraff. .  I
think people that run these things should consider letting all marquee cars
park by model in the show area. . . .They can separate " show " and
"display"  easily. . . .

( I've left this intact, it sums things up nicely)

I don't see ever being able to get my car up to the level that the show
 winners achieve, it's beyond my financial status, but I think it would do
the
 LBC hobby good and promote camaraderie to include those of us who are out
 there in the driver category. >>

I'd hardly consider Dave a "Wannabe".

To me a wannabe is someone who thinks they ( or their car in this case) are
light years better than anyone else, they don't have a clue what it takes to
be on top and by most standards their actual performance on the bottom of the
scale.  It's the " I'm so great" against the " oh that's really bad" that
makes a Wannabe in my opinion.  Kina like the fable about "the kings new (
no) clothes".

I suspect many people that own interesting old but a bit tatty cars are
fearful of being labeled "wannabe" or "poser".  Unless it is Pebble Beach or
some other concourse event I'd say clean up the car and have a go!  ( Though
with the proper planning and effort, Pebble Beach could be done with a tatty
car, see a few paragraphs below)

A car show is a time to put on the cars Sunday best and sit in the sun.
Hamburger wrappers peaking out from under the seat are a no no.  Chrome that
is pitted? No problem, polish it up as best as possible.  A bit of aluminum
tape and/or some silver paint can work wonders to improve the 10 foot look.

Rust spots?  A scrape with a wire brush and careful touch up with a spray can
or artists brush does wonders.  Clean the motor off, even if it is with a rag
and solvent.  Oily OK, caked on dirt NO.  Vac the rugs, clean the dash, you
get the idea.

The magazine Classic & Sports Car (A British import) has many 1/2 pages (
sometimes full pages) for regular peoples classic cars, " Our Classics".
Many of the of the cars are daily drivers and what they lack in perfection is
more than made up by being interesting cars that are _driven_ on a regular
basis.

Now for the Pebble Beach thing.  C&SC has regular coverage of car shows, some
of the participants add props to make the car display more interesting.  One
spot has a "barn find"  Renault 2CV in a barn setting complete with hay.
Perhaps going to the car show and removing a wheel ( like a on the side of
the road flat tire change) or setting tools under the hood and spare carb
sitting on the engine could be used as props.  A sign giving a title to the
display would help viewers get the point. " On the road to Dayton, got a
flat"     "Time to adjust those SUs again."  " Not another Lucas moment! "
Having a display would make a tatty car more interesting ( and different)
that all those perfect cars of the same make.  I suspect this would evoke
more memories from viewers than a 100 point show car since how long does a
car stay showroom new?

For a local mixed make car show a sign listing what the car is, some history
of what company made the car and a line like " Yes this car is a bit worn,
but have you seen one on the road lately?  This one is driven on a regular
basis."  This would help the viewers understand what the car is about.  I
also suspect it would generate questions like "Where do you find parts", "How
long have you owned this car" or " What do you do when it rains?" " I thought
GM made Truimph. . ."

I plan on doing the "worn ,regularly driven" car show thing with my tatty
1972 Porsche 914.  Due to the salt and snow on western PA, these cars aren't
too common around here.  Have you seen one on the road lately?

Harold