Re: Fwd: Car shows- slight rant

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Car shows- slight rant
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 10:55:01 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <DShoop7572@aol.com>, "[unknown]" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Michael D. Porter"
>I have had, on numerous occasions, arguments, personally and by email,
with VTR officials regarding this very point--I've felt, for the longest
time, that the VTR and other regional clubs have depended upon the
trailer queens for membership and support.
<

I have felt along similar lines but less strenuously so.  I feel the powers
that be have made an effort to emphasize the other aspects of british car
ownership from the requirement of participation in a driving event to
qualify for the beauty contest, to giving awards for such activities as TSD
rallye, autocross, hard luck and longest distance travelled.

One reason the hobby enjoys such popularity is because it appeals to such a
broad spectrum of interests.  The cars are fun to drive so the drivers
enjoy them. They are easy to work on (and modify) so the folks who like to
tinker enjoy them. And they are fairly good looking so the showers enjoy
them.

The showers (that's show-ers, not short duration precipitation events) have
their venue (two of them), and the racers have their autocross, the rallye
folks have a TSD, there are special recognition awards like the Sweat
Equity Award, the Bill Wood Award and the big trophy cup sponsered by The
Roadster Factory.  But none of these awards specifically address what
Michael is addressing - those who drive them an a regular basis.  I think
there is room in the VTR schedule for yet one more award, especially one
that recognizes why these cars became so popular during the 50's, 60's and
70's.

But that's just my opinion.

Dave Massey