Re: Car shows- slight rant

To: Rosspemlee@aol.com
Subject: Re: Car shows- slight rant
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 03:39:32 -0600
Cc: DShoop7572@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
> Mike,
What did happen to the award you promoted last year? I for one, thought
it was a great idea (even though
Rosebud's a "trailer Queen")

Truthfully, Doug, I don't know. At the event, it simply wasn't promoted,
and as best as I could gather, no one knew about it because they weren't
notified of it during registration. All the information was in place,
but it wasn't disseminated, and there was no time allotted for it during
the awards. That's about all I know.

And, you can't call Rosebud a trailer queen. It's a race car and really
isn't suitable for the street, from what I could see. Even though it's
on a trailer, it gets a pass. <smile>

> I too have mixed emotions but, I would have voted for the Gloria if I had had
>a vote. Can't say for sure why-It is rare,
it's damned sure beautiful and I've got to believe it took one hell of a
lot of work to get it to the condition it is in. I
guess it is like the Bugatti or Duesenberg thing. I'll never own one and
I could waste time being envious of the
fellow who does but I can't help lovin' a really nice one.

I agree in one sense. It's always interesting to have some historical
perspective, both on the marque and on the technological history. That
might be why I thought the inclusion of the Seven at Breckenridge was
notable. Maybe the whole issue of judging on the basis of novelty is
flawed (the "cuteness" factor which others have mentioned).

> By the way, Mike I still have that slightly ratty GT6 so I guess I'll take it
>to the next show and enter it as a driver.
Lately I drive it more than the race car. :o) GRIN!

Good! The lowly, much-maligned GT6 continues to have some support.
<smile>

Truthfully, to Doug and everyone, I didn't intend to add fuel to either
personal flames or general contentiousness. One person sent me a letter
suggesting that I'd not treated the VTR at all fairly, and that prompted
what I hoped was a serious private reply as to why the VTR has not
flourished.

I was a member of the VTR in the mid-`70s, when it was very new. The
"magazine" was generally a four- to eight-page newsletter. For me, then,
it was a slim connection to other Triumph owners. At that time, Triumphs
were still being built, and there was no expectation that there would be
a time when there would be no more new Triumphs. Little did we know.
When production ceased, I think, a different attitude took hold. In the
minds of some, the cars brought to the U.S. became artifacts, rather
than vehicles of both utility and sport driving.

And yet, the people on this list, by and large, drive their cars a lot,
and it's a very frequent complaint that they can't figure out a
particular problem which keeps them from driving their cars (and, as
some have noted, the list is of great benefit to them in keeping their
Triumph running). And, in an odd correspondence, a lot of such people
are never seen at a major VTR event, and if they are, their cars aren't
on prominent display, because there's not enough time and money to make
their car approach perfection.

That might be the attitude to which I refer--a feeling of being
intimidated by the overpowering effect of money on the hobby. To some
here, their Triumph is _transportation_. For some, keeping it going is
not only a matter of pride, but sometimes one of necessity. I think
those are the people, rightly or wrongly, who feel they would not be
welcome at larger VTR events.

After many years without a Triumph, I bought the car I now drive daily,
a GT6 with a very badly-maintained TR6 engine in it, with a rusty dent
in the nose, etc., but, steadily, over some years, the mechanicals have
been improved. This is the car that I drive to work and in which I get
the groceries. British Car Week is every week for me. And, it's a ball
to drive. I get in it each day and it starts, and it runs. And, it's
great fun to answer the questions of the public. What is that? Triumph?
Who makes it? <smile> Several times a week, I get questions such as
those from a kid who was born after Triumph died. And, who knows, ten
years from now, someone will want to sell him or her that "neat car" an
old gray-haired fart was seen driving years before, and there's another
enthusiast. But, not necessarily someone who's going to depend upon the
people in the VTR to keep him or her in it and driving it.

Perhaps that's an indication of the predominant difference between many
of the people on these lists and the members of the VTR. However, that's
hardly an exclusive condition. There are people on this and other
Triumph lists who are fervent daily drivers of Triumphs, immediately
responsive people with considerable knowledge of the cars and how to fix
their problems (and you guys know who you are--thanks for the help), and
are members of the VTR. There are guys here who are really quick with
help... this list knows who they are, but I'll mention a few steady,
dependable names for the newcomers--Dave Massey, Randall Young, Dan
Masters, the powdercoat king, Fred Thomas, Andy Mace, Art Kelly, Barry
Schwartz, Bob Kramer, Irv Korey, Joe Curry, John Macartney, Bob Lang,
and about a dozen other people I'll insult by not remembering them off
the top of my head).

But, I go to VTR nationals off and on, now that I can afford to do so,
and the number of people there who are ready and available to help the
people on this and other lists and to help Triumph owners at large is
kind of slim. And, truthfully, I have to wonder about why it is that
way.

If my comments about the VTR seem somewhat harsh, it's only because I
have the vague feeling that the VTR isn't serving the greater fraternity
of Triumph owners to the extent that it could, and should. I don't have
all the answers about how the VTR can accomplish greater service to all
owners or encompass the needs of non-members, or bring non-members to
membership. But, I do feel there needs to be greater introspection on
those matters by the VTR, for the benefit of all who own and drive a
Triumph.

Cheers, Doug, and all.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....