Re: Car shows- slight rant

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>, <Rosspemlee@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Car shows- slight rant
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 13:31:32 -0500
Cc: <DShoop7572@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
>I think
>those are the people, rightly or wrongly, who feel they would not be
>welcome at larger VTR events.

I, for one, welcome all sorts of Triumphs and all sorts of Triumph people.
I attended the 1998 convention.  I had intended to show up with my shabby
Lotus, but the water-pump did not agree.  At the event, I was privileged to
drive a beautiful TR6 in the autocross, courtesy of Pam and John Solstad.  I
was also privileged to compete (comically, due to short-term memory
problems) in a less-than-beautiful Spitfire, courtesy of Bruce Batterson.

Bruce drove the Spitfire up from Nebraska for the event.  Bruce made no
pretense that the car had any intrinsic cosmetic value.  But it's a Triumph,
and a damned good one.  It made the trip and presented itself as a proper
sports car.  Sure, it was not going to make a passable score at a judged
concours.  But the VTR conventions are more than that.

Sue and I have a TR4 now, so the next convention won't be subjected to my
Lotus (it has a new water-pump, but it's still ugly).  Our TR4 is not
concours material.  It would be a good candidate to become such a car, but
that is not my intent.  I'll show it in the casual concours.  I'm not
ashamed of it for what it is.

The VTR convention is, and should be, the "big tent".  I'd encourage
everyone to come and bring a Triumph.  I want to see them all, from the
shabbiest "bloody miracle" to the most meticulously-restored show car.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org