Re: Car shows- slight rant

To: "Greg Tobin" <gtobin@channelpoint.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Car shows- slight rant
From: "maineac" <maineac@netquarters.net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 19:27:22 -0400
While I'm almost always in "lurk mode", I can't let this one go unanswered.
The VTR annual convention is much more than a single event!  It is a 3 day
celebration of the use of Triumph automobiles in all forms of competition.
This includes Auto-X, Rally, Funkhana, and non-competitive touring.  The
requirement that you mention has been in place for many years to insure that
folks don't just show up with their "trailer queens" and the only time the
wheels get to roll is to unload them from the fully enclosed "Wells Cargo"
trailers that dragged them to the event.  It is a very great shame that,
inspite of living close by, you didn't avail yourself of the opportunity to
join in with the (close to) 300 other owners, some of whom did indeed come a
long way to be there!  Grasshopper, you have much to learn!

I speak as someone who began attending these back before they were VTR
events, and as the co-host of the 1999 convention in Portland Maine.  We had
a lot of participants who were "locals", including some who were only there
to work the event.  I assure you that they all (myself included) paid the
$75 registration fee, even if they only entered 1 or 2 events.  The real
value of a VTR convention is in "being there".  This year's is in Red Wing
Minn., and I encourage you to make the trip and see what you missed last
year.

Tom Walling