Re: Fwd: Car shows- slight rant

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Car shows- slight rant
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 18:15:19 -0600
5/8/2002 2:45:49 PM, DShoop7572@aol.com wrote:

>Went to a British car show  in Wadsworth, Oh. this weekend. Lots of
>killer cars on display. Again I parked my TR4a out in the lot with the
>riffraff. Paid walk in admission which seemed to be on the honor system. I
>think people that run these things should consider letting all marquee cars
>park by model in the show area. They can separate " show " and  "display"
>easily. Maybe have the " display " types pay 1/2 entry fee of the show cars.

Even if you're not in contention for a prize, the fee pays for things like
insurance, site fee, plaques and stuff -- you're getting your money's worth
if it's under $15 or so. I think some shows *do* charge extra for concourse
competition, which also seems fair considering how much effort is involved
on the part of the organizers. That's sort of like your 1/2 price suggestion.

Not everyone comes to shows for the killer cars in my experience. This past
fall I was at the all-British Colorado Conclave, 500 cars or motorbikes across
marquees. An owner let my boys sit in her well-used but very nice big Healey
-- Ben was carrying his matching black/red Matchbox. I didn't ask, she
offered, though my boys would have been 2 and 4 at the time. The fee for that
show is around $15 I think. Due to a tight schedule I didn't take the TR4 last
year, but I entered the year before and parked next to a similarly early TR4
and talked to the original owner about my problems with a radiator crack --
same problem he had 35 years ago with the long neck rad.

Show fee: $15.  Advice from original owner: priceless.

Steven Newell
Denver, CO USA
'62 TR4 CT5018LO