Re: TR4 Info

To: reagntsj@ricochet.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Info
From: fergie@ntplx.net
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 20:27:18 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Alan Myers wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> I just joined this list, too, (so far they don't bite) but I have been
> afflicted with a Triumph for about 25 years.
>
> Yes, there were fiberglass fenders & other parts made for TR4's. My car
> has f'glass rocker panels, which I plan to replace with metal, primarily
> because I think I can get a better overall fit with metal. You will also
> occasionally find some aluminum TR body panels. These were more of a
> lightening/performance upgrade, while f'glass was an alternative for
> rust prone areas.
>
> There are both used and new body parts around if you later decide you
> want to swap them out. I would be careful to try to determine WHY
> f'glass parts have been installed. Was the car hit? Look for more
> critical problems such as suspension,  alignment and frame damage. Is
> there severe rust hiding under the f'glass panels? To my knowledge,
> inner fenders and underbody parts were never made of  f'glass and are
> still susceptible to rot.
>
> New TR4 painted wire wheels cost $150 each from Moss. An upgrade to TR6
> (more spokes, wider & stronger) are $225 ea. Conversion kit to put these
> on a car with bolt on wheels is about $500. They have a website
> www.mossmotors.com where you can order a catalog or download Adobe
> Acrobat versions of a catalog. I would estimate used parts prices will
> be anywhere from 25% to 75% those amounts, depending on condition and
> whether you buy from a parts dealer or an individual. While I am the
> ultimate recycler & have plenty of ancient parts on my car, also
> consider used wire wheels may need some serious (as in $$$) attention to
> be safe.
>
> NOTE: While I am in sales and marketing, it's not for Moss. Just using
> them as an example... also check out British Victoria, The Roadster
> Factory and British Wheels, to name a few.
>
> I applaud your taste in cars! One of the great thing about TR's is the
> availability of parts and the relative simplicity so simpletons like me
> can work on them!
>
> Alan Myers
> San Jose, Calif.
> '62 TR4 #CT17602
>
> fergie@ntplx.net wrote:
>
> > Hi! I'm new to this mailing list thing - really have no idea what I'm
> > doing, but thought I'd give it a shot. I have a few questions about
> > buying a TR4.
> >
> > 1) I realize that a car with fiberglass fenders won't win any concours
> >
> > prizes, but otherwise, is there any reason to reject a car for that
> > reason alone? I didn't even know they MADE glass fenders, but found a
> > car with them and just wondered if it was a good idea.
> >
> > 2) If I find a car that I like, but that doesn't have wire wheels,
> > what
> > can I expect to pay for a set of painted wheels, splined hubs and
> > knockoffs in reasonable condition? Or are they even available used?
> >
> > 3) I'm sure I'll think of more, but for now, any suggestions would be
> [...]

Thanks, Alan. My first car, a hundred or so years ago, was a TR3. Had it
for about 12 years and STILL regret selling instead of restoring. It had
NO rust (except the floor panels). Oh well, live and learn...

Not trying to slam anyone, but have heard that Dunlop wires are somewhat
less than the best. If I'm not mistaken, that's what Moss sells. True?
False? Any other opinions? In any case, unless I find a car that already
has wires, I'll probably settle for steel or perhaps Minilites - those
are growing on me.

I'm not particularly thrilled with the idea of fiberglass - or for that
matter, replacement steel body panels. Is it possible to find a car with
originals that are not full of Bondo?

Michael