Re: TR4 Info

To: fergie@ntplx.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Info
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 17:01:34 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Michael,

I just joined this list, too, (so far they don't bite) but I have been
afflicted with a Triumph for about 25 years.

Yes, there were fiberglass fenders & other parts made for TR4's. My car
has f'glass rocker panels, which I plan to replace with metal, primarily
because I think I can get a better overall fit with metal. You will also
occasionally find some aluminum TR body panels. These were more of a
lightening/performance upgrade, while f'glass was an alternative for
rust prone areas.

There are both used and new body parts around if you later decide you
want to swap them out. I would be careful to try to determine WHY
f'glass parts have been installed. Was the car hit? Look for more
critical problems such as suspension,  alignment and frame damage. Is
there severe rust hiding under the f'glass panels? To my knowledge,
inner fenders and underbody parts were never made of  f'glass and are
still susceptible to rot.

New TR4 painted wire wheels cost $150 each from Moss. An upgrade to TR6
(more spokes, wider & stronger) are $225 ea. Conversion kit to put these
on a car with bolt on wheels is about $500. They have a website
www.mossmotors.com where you can order a catalog or download Adobe
Acrobat versions of a catalog. I would estimate used parts prices will
be anywhere from 25% to 75% those amounts, depending on condition and
whether you buy from a parts dealer or an individual. While I am the
ultimate recycler & have plenty of ancient parts on my car, also
consider used wire wheels may need some serious (as in $$$) attention to
be safe.

NOTE: While I am in sales and marketing, it's not for Moss. Just using
them as an example... also check out British Victoria, The Roadster
Factory and British Wheels, to name a few.

I applaud your taste in cars! One of the great thing about TR's is the
availability of parts and the relative simplicity so simpletons like me
can work on them!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602