Re: TR4 Info

To: fergie@ntplx.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Info
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 19:59:01 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 1 Aug 1998 fergie@ntplx.net wrote:

> ...questions about buying a TR4.
>
> 1) I realize that a car with fiberglass fenders won't win any concours
> prizes, but otherwise, is there any reason to reject a car for that
> reason alone? I didn't even know they MADE glass fenders, but found a
> car with them and just wondered if it was a good idea.

Depends. Some fiberglass fenders are of much better quality (i.e., fit
and finish) than available repro fenders. Of greatest importance is the
reason for their being fitted. Was the PO serious about lightening the
car? Was he/she serious about decent appearance AND structural
integrity...which leads to the final question -- to what do they mount?
Solid inner fenders front and/or rear? Wrinkled inner fenders? Pop rivets
and plastic filler? Once you figure out why they're on there, it's up to
you whether you like them or not.

True confession: neither my friend (when he first bought his TR250 awhile
back) nor I (for the first couple of times I saw his car) noticed that
his front fenders were fiberglass. They're that good on his car. Now the
rear fenders on that car are another story: they're steel -- mostly --
with a LOT of filler in, around, over and through fenders and seams. A
masterpiece of sculpture, but not really proper bodywork! :-)

> 2) If I find a car that I like, but that doesn't have wire wheels, what
> can I expect to pay for a set of painted wheels, splined hubs and
> knockoffs in reasonable condition? Or are they even available used?

They're available used, and a complete "kit" could range anywhere from
about $150 up. And likely you'll get what you pay for, and less. Many
things to look out for with used wire wheels, especially spline wear on
wheel and/or hub, and broken/loose spokes. Check out the maintenance
section at <http://www.vtr.org> for some good tips on wire wheels. If you
REALLY like them, and you REALLY enjoy driving your car a lot, it's
probably worth spending the money to purchase all items new. They're
readily available, albeit not cheap.

--Andy