The flannel from car salesmen - but wait, there's more!

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: The flannel from car salesmen - but wait, there's more!
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 20:03:48 +0100
Guys

I had such fun earlier today, I called in at my favourite pub. Had a nice
lunch and only half a pint of Old Speckled Hen - I was driving you see.

I was going to see an old chum of mine who'd phoned me earlier in the week
about an ultra low mileage Daihatsu Charade GTti he'd taken in part-ex for
something else. Now this guy is the Dealer Principal and as much of a rogue
as me when it comes to doing a bit of trading. Honour among thieves one
might say.

Anyway, I was interested in acquiring this Charade for the simple fact that
IMHO its about the only modern small car available in Europe which is fun.
Three cylinders, twin cam, fuel injection and a turbocharger. I like
playing with BMW's when I'm at the wheel of one of these. It leaves a lot
of egg on face (the BMW one).

Much to my chagrin - nay, blind fury - it had been sold only last night. It
was a gem. 23000 on the clock, full service history and IMMACULATE. I
drooled and kicked myself more than once because the PO appeared to have
been a headless, legless Vicar.

The Daihatsu salesman approached me and suggested that maybe I'd like to
buy the new Charade 'with all the horses.' I declined for the simple fact
that the new car isn't nearly as quick and borders on boring. We were
standing by one in the showroom.

"How much is this one, on the road?" I asked
"Just a minute. I'll get a price list," said he.
As he said that, I noticed something but kept my silence.

He couldn't find one - and admitted it. Seems a bit odd that a car salesman
doesn't know the prices of what he's selling, off the top of his head.

"Well, can you give me an idea?"
He thought for some time and tiddled with his fingers - presumably counting
things off. Eventually he spoke.
"Well, there's about to be a price increase (where have I heard that
before?) so if you wanted this one, it'll set you back £13925."

"Are you sure?"
"Positive"
"One helluva price increase isn't it?" I said, nodding towards a neat box
on the roof which said '£11245 on the road.'
"Oh, yeah. Thought you said you wanted one with automatic."
"I never said that - and surely they don't do it with automatic, do they?"
"No, come to that, I suppose they don't."

How ON EARTH do these people keep their jobs?

John Macartney