Re: Triumph Herald ??'s

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Kris Cotton <krisc@pi.bnis.net.au>
Subject: Re: Triumph Herald ??'s
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 23:44:22 +0100
Cc: odd@triumphclub.se
Dear friends,
about the ongoing thread on a '59 Herald... (And using this chance
in time to be spared Stormy comments) I'd like to add my 2 pence
worth of knowledge...

What You all have forgotten is the fact that the rear part of the
chassis frame is of a quite different layout, and much weaker on
the so called Mk1 chassis (the one used on the 948) as compared to
the later Mk2 chassis. (The one used on the 1200 and the Spit Mk1
for instance...) The earlier design is lacking lots of strength
(and metal...).
Those of You with access to Robsons book on Herald and Vitesse can
compare the pictures on pages 67 (Harry Webster on a driveable Mk1
chassis), 68, 70. All Mk1's... And on page 117, 118 You can see the
Mk2 chassis with all the improvements highligted in white on a black
chassis frame (This example's a Vitesse, but apart from the disk
brakes and such the frame is the same).

/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,