Re: Triumph Herald ??'s

To: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph Herald ??'s
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 15:57:34 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Bill Kelly wrote:

> Buy it!!!
>
> It's got a 948cc engine, 4-speed gearbox with no syncro on 1st gear, and
> a 4.85:1 rear...
    ^^^^^^

Egad, Bill, your typing is like mine can be. That should be 4.55:1 for the
dual-carb 948s (Coupe', Convertible and some saloons), and 4.875:1 for the
single-carb 948 (saloon).

> 3. Your gearbox is a little weird, though. As I understand it, the bell
> housing is not removable? They are on the later boxes, including my '62.
> Front and rear suspensions were used on Spitfires, too, though there are
> some Herald-only components, such as the rear spring.

I'm pretty sure that the separate bellhousing setup was incorporated very
early in Herald production, so that most Heralds (even 948s) in this
country would have such a setup. However, these 948s (and some of the
earlier 1200s) had the aluminum bellhousing. They also had provision for
clutch adjustment that was eliminated for the 1200s.

> P.S. I'm sure by now you've been contacted by one Andy Mace, asking
> about serial numbers and the like.

Why, YES, how did you know? :-)

> P.P.S. Heralds have been popping out of the woodwork lately, even in the
> US. TRF, take note!

:-)

--Andy