Re: Triumph Herald ??'s

To: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph Herald ??'s
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:40:43 +0500 (EST)
Cc: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, rovernet@ganglion.anes.med.umich.edu
On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Jim Boyd wrote:

> I have an opportunity to purchase a 1959 Triumph Herald Convertible.  The
> car seems to be reasonably intact, although it has been stored
> outside...

> Questions:  How rare is this car?  Are parts available to restore it in the
> US?  What size is the engine (I'm guessing about 1000 - 1100cc)?  Are there
> some obvious pitfalls to this particular car?  There seem to be some
> connections to the Spitfire - could some Spit running gear be interchangeable?

Well, if it's a 1959, it's VERY RARE. The convertible actually wasn't
introduced until the Spring of 1960. As you've already heard, the original
engine would have been (for the early Heralds) a twin-1.125"-SU-carb,
948cc engine. Obvious pitfalls? The biggest one is that I want the car.
(It's ok; you/it are too far away. :-( ) Others have pretty much beaten me
to the answer on the last question. It's easier with the later Heralds (if
this one truly is an early 948), but it's doable.

Some stuff is going to be quite difficult to find. If the car has been
outside that long, the original pressed fibre dashboard is likely wasted.
These are unique to the 948 Convertible and Coupe', and they are pretty
tough to find in any condition. Many other parts might not be as tough to
find, but keeping it "original" might make for a greater challenge.

> He wants $1000 US firm for this car.  That seems steep for a car that has
> been sitting so long...any thoughts on value as it sits vs a restored car?
> It looks like it would be a fun 4 seater car to cruise in!

Fun? Definitely. Asking price? Perhaps a bit steep, given the amount of
trim work, etc., you'd need to do. But it's not outrageous. Value when
restored? That's a tough call. It could easily be $3000-$4000 or more, but
it might depend somewhat on how close to authentic and original it can be
restored, and a jillion other factors that are hard to guess at when I'm
3000 miles away.

Jim, if you can, please try to get for me the Commission, body and engine
numbers. I can tell you a bit more about the car based on that, and it
would be useful information for me as well. Any information you can give
me on original paint and trim colors and other details would be
appreciated as well, along with any other questions you wish to ask.

TALK TO ME! :-)

--Andy