Sealing the cylinder liners

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sealing the cylinder liners
From: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 09:15:06 -0500 (EST)
After taking a few measurements I decided that I was asking for trouble if
I left my TR4 cylinder liners as they were with hi-temp RTV sealing the
figure 8 gaskets below.  (I'm in the midst of a rebuild, of course.)
Seeing that V-B sells Loctite 819 Hylomar Hi-Temp Gasket Dressing for this
application, I bought some at a local store and am preparing to smear it
on the gaskets and put the whole thing back together.

As I understand it, the dressing will not harden the way the RTV would,
thus allowing the area where the liners seat to compress and squeeze out
the sealant when the cylinder head is clamped on.  Solid RTV holding the
liner up a few thousandths might get me a cracked cylinder head.  Is this
analysis right?

So, how concerned should I be about how high the liners might be sitting
if they have the Hylomar underneath (as long as they're within a few
thousandths of spec)?

There something other vital aspect of installing these liners that I'm
missing?

John Paul Middlesworth
1966 TR4A