Re: Valve jobs

To: jstovall@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Valve jobs
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 00:25:43 -0400

<<  Where can I find this stuff? In places like the AutoZone? Or, since
 I've put Marvel Mystery Oil into my engine already, would I just be wasting
 money? >>

Any GM dealer's parts department should have it.  Some don't use it much, and
their parts guys may not be familiar with it, but there always seems to be
some TEC around somewhere at any GM dealer where I've looked for it.

Marvel Mystery Oil isn't likely to remove any carbon buildup you have.  In
fact, I'm not too sure that MMO really decreases the amount of deposits in
the combustion chamber -- it's a good anti-friction additive and it cleans
out oil sludge and varnish while eliminating new deposits of that kind.  I
use both, with MMO going into the oil all the time, and into the gas every
few tankfuls.

Some other stuff -- originally called "Speedway Cocktail", and now sold as
Lenckite, IS supposed to reduce the rate of formation of carbon, or rather is
claimed to make carbon deposits fall off if they form.  It also does what MMO
does, in reducing varnish and sludge from parts in the oil system (including
valve stems, etc.), but even it doesn't really claim to REMOVE carbon
deposits that are already in the combustion chamber.  It's an oil additive,
not a gasoline additive.  I don't have any experience with it, but it just
received FAA approval a year or two ago, and that MAY indicate something
about efficacy -- they're kind of picky about approving something just
because it's harmless.  They prefer to only approve stuff that's actually
helpful !!  No guarantees, but something of a testimonial if they approve
it....

-Karl