Valve jobs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Valve jobs
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 08:57:31 -0700
> It seems to me that there are two types of Triumph engines (at least in the
> TR3 and 4)....  Those that just had a valve job, and those that need a valve
> job.  I just read, in the service manual that the head should be removed
> every 15000 miles for "decarbonization."  How did Triumph manage to get
> buyers to accept this?
> Best Regards,

This was in "the good old days" of unleaded fuel that didn't have all the
detergents and cleaning agents that current fuel has.  Todays fuels are so
good that at my last engine rebuild (the V6), using these fuels for about
five years, there was virtually no deposits on the valves, in fact Iv'e
never seen heads so clean!  The problen we pre-73 triumph owners face is the
unhardened valves, and valve seats with unleaded gas-the reason so many TR's
either need a valve job or just had one.  My GT6, Iv'e just determined
through compression testing cause it wouldnt idle, will need this!  (180,
182, 179, 90, 160, 180)  Possibly a bad head gasket too, but since I'm going
to have the head off-and this head has never been rebuilt to my knowledge,
now's the time to do it!  Oh joy, just what I needed :-)

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+