Re: Valve jobs

To: Paulsv@aol.com
Subject: Re: Valve jobs
From: Michael Marr <mmarr@execpc.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 15:38:33 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Paulsv@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 96-10-24 10:42:35 EDT, lchillin@siu.edu (Lawrence
> Schilling) writes:
>
> << lchillin
>
>  73 (looks like I need a valve job) STRag
>
>   >>
> It seems to me that there are two types of Triumph engines (at least in the
> TR3 and 4)....  Those that just had a valve job, and those that need a valve
> job.  I just read, in the service manual that the head should be removed
> every 15000 miles for "decarbonization."  How did Triumph manage to get
> buyers to accept this?
> Best Regards,
> Paul

We shouldn't forget that 15,000 miles was two to three years use for the
average British driver back then.  And, a decarbonization (or "decoke",
as we Brits call it), was just that - carbon was removed and valves were
ground in, but not replaced, refaced or new seats inserted unless
absolutely necessary.  Thus, it wasn't too expensive and most owners of
TRs had a little extra cash anyway, so they didn't mind paying it.  Of
course, you could always do a "chinese decoke" (excuse the political
incorrectness, but that's what we called it).  This consisted of pouring
Red-X (a fuel additive and upper cylinder lubricant/cleaner that could
also procure world peace if you beleived all the stories told by "the
lads" in Grays, Essex) down the spark plug holes and then driving at high
speed until all the white smoke dissipated...  I wonder, is Red-X still
made? Those were the days...
--
Michael J. Marr
Home:  414-563-2974