Re: brakes

To: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Subject: Re: brakes
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 13:39:45 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: "Jon Moody (BME)" <mood@rad.unc.edu>, Triumphs Only <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, Michael Burdick wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, Jon Moody (BME) wrote:
>
> > is some *slight* pitting in the bore. Is  it ok to hone the cylinder when
> > this pitting is present or do I need to drop the $200 for a new one?
>
> You can try honing but based on past experience, you will have the MC out
> of the car again by next summer to do it again.  I don't know why this is,
> but I have never met anyone who has had a honed MC last any reasonable
> amount of time.  An alternative to installing a new one is to have the old
> one sleeved.  White Post Restorations in VA advertise a brass sleeving
> service.  I believe Apple Hydraulics is also offering a sleeving service
> so you might check with them.  There is a Corvette shop here in Nebraska
> that uses stainless instead of brass, so you might just call around NC and
> see if there are any local options for sleeving.

I agree with Mike, but I might add that the sleeving usually runs
somewhere in the $50 range. Add in the cost of a rebuild kit and you're
almost half way to the new cylinder. Of course, you could also add in
the cost of a new reservoir, since your old one probably is yellowed,
etc. By now, you're really close to that new cylinder price!

Honing is nice, but it's not really meant to take care of any
significant pitting or ridges in the bore. Sounds like new really would
be your best bet.

> > Jon "carless is Chapel Hill" Moody
> > `73 TR6
>
> Mike "Formerly from Durham" Burdick

Andy "my [late] great-aunt lived in Chapel Hill for many, many years" Mace