Re: brakes

Subject: Re: brakes
From: "Riggs, R. (Kevin)" <rkriggs@hsv28.pcmail.ingr.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 95 14:36:00 CDT
Encoding: 29 TEXT

> On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, Jon Moody (BME) wrote:
>
> > is some *slight* pitting in the bore. Is  it ok to hone the cylinder
when
> > this pitting is present or do I need to drop the $200 for a new one?

And Mike Burdick responded:
> but I have never met anyone who has had a honed MC last any reasonable
> amount of time.

Hi, Mike, my name is Kevin Riggs.  I honed and rebuilt my pitted TR6 MC in
the spring of '87, and it's still performing flawlessly (well, at least,
until I send this mail message, at which point it will dissolve in a puddle
of Castrol--but that's a different story).  I've rebuilt others that have
held together as well.  However, I've never had any luck with clutch MCs,
which receive quite a bit more use and typically travel full-bore with each
stroke as well.

I've heard lots of stories of failure, too, and I don't doubt your own
experiences.  But I thought I'd let you know that it sometimes works.

By the way, I hone *lightly*.

Kevin Riggs
'72 TR6
rkriggs@ingr.com