Re: brakes

To: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>, "Jon Moody (BME)" <mood@rad.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: brakes
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 14:33:44 EDT
Cc: Triumphs Only <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> > is some *slight* pitting in the bore. Is  it ok to hone the cylinder when
> > this pitting is present or do I need to drop the $200 for a new one?
> You can try honing but based on past experience, you will have the MC out
> of the car again by next summer to do it again.  I don't know why this is,
> but I have never met anyone who has had a honed MC last any reasonable
> amount of time.

I have heard from someone who has had very good luck on, as I recall, at least
two different vehicles (I don't think there were any Triumphs involved)
by honing the cylinder and then using lapping and buffing compound to
polish it up to a mirror finish. Before that, they had tried just honing it
with the same results as you state above.

--
---
John R. Lupien

WARNING: This product exerts an attractive force on every
         other object in the universe, including those
         objects which are the products of our competitors.