Re: brakes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brakes
From: TinyHost@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 1995 22:56:46 -0400
>Was originally having problems with the pedal going almost
>to the floor, but not every time, a very random sort of
>thing.

I've spent a LOT of time on my 6's brakes the past month or so. Don't
know how much I can help, but I'll try...

>I took the master cylinder apart again to see if something was amiss.
>The only questionable thing I encountered on the bench was that the
>piston tended to stick when pushed into the cylinder bore.  I had to
>rap-tap-tap on the thing to get the guts to come out in the first place
>when I did the rebuild.

The sticking piston doesn't sound too unusual. If I remember correctly one
of my manuals stated that you either had to rap the cylinder (as you
discovered) or use compressed air to get all of the bits out. As long as
there was no obvious pitting or corrosion your master cylinder is probably
okay.

>Some days the brakes work perfectly, then on other days the pedal just
>goes to floor on the first hit but not every time.

That still sounds like air in the line to me. Have you flushed a LOT of fluid
through your system? Believe-it-or-not, I've gone through over a GALLON
of DOT 3 the past month or so, between my clutch and brakes. What kind
of fluid are you using, and when was the last time the entire system was
flushed? Might this problem be related to temperature?

Also, how are you bleeding the system? If your pumping the pedal, I'd like
to suggest you go to your local WalMart (or wherever) and get a Mity-Vac
hand operated vacuum pump bleeding system. I have noticed a tremendous
difference in the brakes and clutch (including my motorcycle's brakes)
since using this beastie. Well worth the $25-30.

One other comment: I've had to bleed my brakes quite often since replacing
one of my rear cylinders. I left the brake system open and a LOT of fluid
leaked out. The brakes would feel great for a day or two, then suddenly
they'd
go to the bottom. Bleeding the rears again would fix the problem. I've gone
through this cycle two or three times, and I think (hope!) that most of the
air os finally out of the system.

        Bruce Krobusek
        Rochester   NY
       tinyhost@aol.com