Re: brakes

To: "Jon Moody (BME)" <mood@rad.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: brakes
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 12:24:39 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: Triumphs Only <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, Jon Moody (BME) wrote:

> is some *slight* pitting in the bore. Is  it ok to hone the cylinder when
> this pitting is present or do I need to drop the $200 for a new one?

You can try honing but based on past experience, you will have the MC out
of the car again by next summer to do it again.  I don't know why this is,
but I have never met anyone who has had a honed MC last any reasonable
amount of time.  An alternative to installing a new one is to have the old
one sleeved.  White Post Restorations in VA advertise a brass sleeving
service.  I believe Apple Hydraulics is also offering a sleeving service
so you might check with them.  There is a Corvette shop here in Nebraska
that uses stainless instead of brass, so you might just call around NC and
see if there are any local options for sleeving.

Hope this helps,

> Jon "carless is Chapel Hill" Moody
> `73 TR6

Mike "Formerly from Durham" Burdick