brakes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: brakes
From: MORROW@udavxb.oca.udayton.edu
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 1995 21:24:32 -0400 (EDT)
Hello again to everyone, and thanks for all the comments on
my electrical problems.  Here goes one more time on the
brake problem on my TR6 (which has asserted itself again).
Was originally having problems with the pedal going almost
to the floor, but not every time, a very random sort of
thing. I rebuilt the master cylinder, replaced the two rear
wheel cylinders, replaced pads and shoes, bled the system.
etc., put it all back together and NO better.  I thought for
a while it was the vacuum booster but I have now determined
that there is no problem there.  This problem has been quite
variable.  Some days the brakes work perfectly, then on
other days the pedal just goes to floor on the first hit but
not every time.  I took the master cylinder apart again to
see if something was amiss. The only questionable thing I
encountered on the bench was that the piston tended to stick
when pushed into the cylinder bore.  I had to rap-tap-tap on
the thing to get the guts to come out in the first place
when I did the rebuild.  I seem to recall some years ago
when I did this rebuild on my other TR6 that I had to push
the piston in and HOLD it in while the tippler valve was
dropped into place to keep the whole thing from flying
apart.  Perhaps the main spring in the current cylinder has
lost its tension after 20-odd years or something. Could this
be the problem with my system? I would think that piston
travel would be fairly short when the cylinder is in place
and the sticking I saw on the bench might not manifest
itself. I have never known a brake system to behave so
erratically. Any suggestions? TRF and Vicky Brit each want
about $200 for a master cylinder. Does anyone know of a
place that sells rebuilt cylinders (with core exchange)?