Re: brakes

To: mood@rad.unc.edu
Subject: Re: brakes
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 11:54:37 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>To hone or not to hone,  that is the question! I  went out yesterday  to
>take my car car out in the  beautiful weather we are having here and I
>noticed a puddle of fluid under my front left fender - lo and behold my
>master cylinder fluid resevoir was empty (it had a slow leak for the last
>month or so). No ride for me! I have the cylinder off the car and there
>is some *slight* pitting in the bore. Is  it ok to hone the cylinder when
>this pitting is present or do I need to drop the $200 for a new one?
>
>Jon  "carless is Chapel Hill" Moody
>`73 TR6

Jon,
  I would say it depends on where the pits are and how deep. It occurs
infrequently that the area where the piston slides actually pits, more
likely to jsut wear or scratch from a foreighn body. If you can determine
that the pits are beyond the reach of tyhe piston, I would say go for a
light honing, being sure to use clean brake fluid as a lubricant. If
after about a half minute of honing at medium speed, there are visible
pits or scratches, you'll probably have to spring for the bucks.
  Is that Chapel Holl, N.C.?
Tony R.
69GT6
68GT6