Re: TR6 Volts

To: TinyHost@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Volts
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 11:40:30 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>I did some very quick tests on the charging system of my TR6 and
>thought I would look for some comments. I've been wondering if my gauge
>problem is due to the charging system or the voltage stabilizer, and I
>now tend to believe even more that it's the stabilizer.
>
>Here are the voltage measurements made directly at the battery:
>
>           Engine off   13.2v
>           At idle      14.2v
>           At idle &    13.8v
>           lights on
>           At 2000RPM   13.9v
>           & lights on
>
>These readings look reasonable to me. Anyone violently disagree?  :)
>
>        Bruce Krobusek
>        Rochester   NY
>       tinyhost@aol.com
>          '83 R80RT
>           '72 TR6

Bruce,
  Readings look okay for the charging system. My experience has been that
on older Triumphs is that the voltage stabilizer is also a voltage reducer.
Most of the Jeager, Smiths and Lucas gauges operate at 10 volts. Not
sure about TR6.
  I did run across a 75 Jensen which had gauges that required 10
v.Insturment lights were on a seperate circuit and were 12+v.
  Problem is most likeli stabilizer. They seldom go bad, but when they
do, it seems to cause a lot of confusion.
Tony R.

69GT6
68GT6
64TR4