Re: Highway driving

To: "Andre Rousseau" <andrer@mac.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Highway driving
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 07:43:11 -0700
Andre,

When I took my Spitfire out on the San Diego freeways last year, it was a
nerve-wracking experience for the first few times.  My jaw was actually sore
from being tightly clenched the whole time!

Then, I remembered how I used to drive my first Spitfire on the freeways all
the time, all over Los Angeles (and beyond) when I was younger.  After the
first few times (and confident my wheels weren't going to fall off or
anything), I have no hesitation about driving on the freeway and have gotten
up to 85 MPH once or twice (almost out of necessity to keep up with traffic
sometimes), but since I don't have the O/D installed yet, I prefer to avoid
the freeway and drive along the windy two-lane backroads that this car seems
to have been made for to begin with.

Highway speeds are much easier to take if your wheels are balanced, your
suspension is in good order, the engine is performing properly and your
driveshaft is balanced.  Otherwise, the experience can be very unnerving.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 frame-off resto project
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and..The Totally Triumph Garage forums  -- moderated, focused, friendly!
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!