Re: Highway driving

To: Andre Rousseau <andrer@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Highway driving
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 09:24:49 -0400
Hi Andre,

You are driving exactly like I did when I first got my Spitfire. I wasn't used
to it. Everything was strange. I was afraid to abuse it as it might fall apart
on me at any time. What did I know...it had been many many years since I had a
sports car and this was an OLD car.

Now, after 4 years, and a lot of parts replaced, and upgrades, I drive it as
hard as I can whenever I can. Not that I abuse the car but I drive it as it was
meant...for sports driving. I don't grossly break the speed limits as high speed
isn't my thing. I really like twisty, hilly back roads that show off the
handling strengths of these cars.

After some time behind the wheel, you will be more comfortable with the car and
learn to trust it. It can handle a lot more that you can stand (remember in
racing form these cars were formidable). You may want to consider upgrading to
poly bushings all around (tightens up the suspension) and upgrade to performance
shocks. The SPAX shocks that I installed last year made a world of difference
and I wished I had done the change much earlier. The cost is high and you will
likely get much the same improvement with KYB shocks, at lower cost.

Drive the car for a while. Get used to it. Then do the upgrades as your finances
and desires permit.

Happy motoring...

Andre Rousseau wrote:
=
> But I dont think I want to push the car beyond those speeds or can the
> car handle them?

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario