Engine Valances and Catalogues

To: "Spitfire List (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Valances and Catalogues
From: "Dashwood, Dean" <dean.dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 09:48:54 -0500
Listers,

(To follow on from the recent valance threads)

I am preparing my car for her first ever trip to Le Mans, which is just
4 weeks away (and I still haven't got a passenger yet since my original
passenger dropped out - if any UK listers fancy coming along mail me
off-list!)

Although my car has never suffered from any overheating problems
(usually sits between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark - sometimes goes a bit higher
on a very hot - by English standards - day), I'm a little paranoid about
overheating after the trip to Le Mans last year, when almost every
Spitfire we took down had overheating problems in temperatures much
higher than we'd ever find back home.

The car already has plenty of heat-dissipating features - oil cooler and
electric fan - but is lacking in engine-bay valances, so I thought I'd
take the opportunity to buy and fit some.

I've just got off the phone from Rimmer Bros, having tried to order
items XKC1570 and XKC1602 (page 143 in edition 2.1 of their Spitfire
catalogue).  Unfortunately, they're out of stock, and it doesn't seem
like they'll be able to get them in time for me to fit them before I
leave for Le Mans.

So I turned to the John Kippings catalogue, and on page 20 of the 3rd
Edition (Nov 1997) of their catalogue, under Radiator and Mounts, I
found some "Board Air Deflectors", items 706844 and 706843 (items 16 and
17 on that page).

The items which I found in the Kippings catalogue are clearly not the
same as the items I found in the Rimmer Bros catalogue, although they
both appear to be intended to deflect air across the engine.  This has
left me a little confused, since I didn't realise there were different
types of valances.

Can anyone fill in the gaps here?  Which of these items are the ones
which aid engine cooling?  Are they compatible with each other?  Should
I be getting one type, or the other, or both?  And does anyone know of a
UK supplier of these who has them in stock?

Thanks,

Dean
-------------------

PS - I've found the relevant catalogue items on the web.  The Kippings
catalogue page can be found at:

http://www.kipping.co.uk/radiatorandmounts.htm

The Rimmer Bros page is at:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/spitfire/repair_front_panels.html - the
second picture from the top - "Panel & Members - Front 1500/1300"
(although the larger view of this image doesn't seem to be working at
the moment, and the left hand valance is incorrectly listed as RKC1502
instead of RKC1602.)

///