Re: [Shop-talk] Shop heating options

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop heating options
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 17:41:01 +0000 (UTC)
> I have two Empire direct vent propane heaters.  I only use them when
> I am actually in the garage, and they are able to heat up fast.  This
>
> is also a plus if you have to open the door to move a car in or
> out.  Intake air and exhaust both go through the wall behind the
> unit.  The flame is in a closed combustion chamber isolated from the
> room air.  There isn't really an open flame in the garage.  Propane
> is expensive in my area, especially for low usage customers.  The
> propane companies are pretty sleazy and pricing can be
> volatile.  Other than that, I have been very happy with these units.
>
> -Steve Trovato
> strovato@optonline.net
> Putnam Valley, NY

I have one of these Empire units.  Love it.  My property has piped-in naturaal
gas, which is a lot cheaper than propane and in this market, also much cheaper
than electricity.

My 20x30 shop is well-insulated, so I leave the thermostat at 50 all winter.

1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UB "uncle jack"
1979 Caterham Super Seven
2004 Suburban 8.1
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4
pethier [at] comcast [dot] net