Re: [Shop-talk] Premium for Turbos

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, Dan Kroninger <d_kroninger@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Premium for Turbos
From: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:07:43 -0700
Hey Dan. You shouldn't need to run premium in your Roadster since we did your
valves--if you are still getting pinging, we should check your timing as I
don't remember if we did that or not. I thought we had.

Also, if you get the Legacy, there is 110 octane available at the citgo a
couple blocks from my place.    ;-)

Please post replies to the whole list all as I am curious about this subject.

Thanks.

Tim

---- Dan Kroninger <d_kroninger@hotmail.com> wrote:

=============
Shop talkers,

Hey there, I think this is my first time posting to this forum, but I have
been following along for a while.  It appears that you all know what you are
talking about

Anyway, my daily driver Honda Civic has just hit 150K.  This is my third civic
and both previous civics made it to about 150K and then the nickel and diming
started, so I am starting to look for a new(er) car.  The car that has really
caught my eye recently is the 07-09 Subaru Legacy Spec B.  Lots of HP, all
wheel drive, sport suspension, etc etc.  The part that concerns me is the
turbo.  The brochures state that all cars with turbos must be run on 91 octane
or higher.

I have read several times that premium is only stated because it allows the
manufacturer to post higher stats (ie HP, torque, accel times, etc), however
the car can be run on lower octanes just as well.  The only exception listed
is turbos, but no one says why.  Does anyone know if this is true?  Why must
91 be used?  Will it harm the car to use lower?

As mentioned above, I have been driving cheap civics for almost my whole
driving career.  I have nothing agains premium as I use it in my Datsun, but I
will be driving the new car a lot more, which equals higher cost at the pump
and thinner wallets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan Kroninger