Re: ceiling truss loading

To: Robert Bownes <rbownes@neworks.net>
Subject: Re: ceiling truss loading
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 01:53:02 -0700

Robert Bownes wrote:

> That was essentially my plan but to run an I beam above/on the ceiling
> trusses and suspend a second from that.
>
> Looks like the appropriate solution is to run  one hefty beam across the
> short dimension of the shop (30') and support it at the walls with
> upright beams. I can brace it laterally from the walls.
>
> But none of this is going to happen anytime soon.
>
> Has anyone put a lift in? :-}

Well, not yet. But, I ran across a program here:

http://www.mecheng.asme.org/database/WIN_ENG/MASTER.HTML

which is made for calculating wooden beam and truss stresses,
winwood.zip.

Might have a look at that if anyone is interested. Might be able to
generate the force calculations required. Haven't tested it myself,
though.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter