Re: ceiling truss loading

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ceiling truss loading
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 09:17:08 -0800

Robert Bownes wrote:

> Anyone know anything about loading formulas & trusses? I'm thinking
> about an I beam all the way across the shop ceiling with a hoist and
> roller for moving large stuff across the shop. I'd either have to build
> all new supports for it or support it from the existing truss system
> (pretty standard types of ceiling trusses built of 2x4's every 16").
> Clearly the latter is *much* easier, but I'm wondering how much load I
> can actually carry up there...
>
> iii

Hi Robert,

I posted a similar question a while back, and a sizable portion
of the list recommended against a ceiling hoist in favor of a
folding shop crane (the 1 to 2 ton wheeled engine cranes
available from HF and others). The thinking was that they are
more flexible (can be wheeled into most any position, say even
outside the shop) and can be folded up and stored when not in
use.

Although I liked the notion of a ceiling hoist, when I compared
the amount of work necessary to do it right and prices, the
foldable wheeled shop cranes looked more and more attractive.

regards,

doug