RE: K3 Fakes Price of everything - Value of nothing

To: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Subject: RE: K3 Fakes Price of everything - Value of nothing
From: C Sherriff <Clives_page@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 04:34:23 -0500
Cc: "'tom metcalf'" <mgtom@bright.net>, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
It would be interesting to know whether both cars had passed through the
same dealer / owner!!!

I once acquired, and some time later sold, a crashed and bent - but just
restorable - Lotus 17 Chassis and nothing else, which ended up with
a well known Lotus Restorer in the UK.  I have subsequently been
contacted re three Lotus 17s which have all originated from the same
source and all claim to be "my" chassis!!  All the components seem to
me to be new and these chassis are immaculate and certainly not the one
I once had!!!

Clive
Oxford UK
Message text written by "Lew Palmer"
A really good example came to light just today. I am in the process of
trying to resolve a case of two J2s both claiming the same chassis
number - one in Japan and one here in the US. It turns out that the
Japan car is a recent purchase from a dealer in England, is correct in
all respects, with as-built equipment, body, engine, etc. However, we
have yet to establish how much of it came from the same car as it's
number would have us believe.

The US car is quite another matter. It was purchased with little more
than an engine (not original to the car), a P-type frame, and precious
little else. It is being rebodied as a J4 replica. But here's the
kicker. ONLY THE DUMBIRON ELBOW (!) is original to the car. It is
correctly stamped (in my estimation by the factory) and has been neatly
grafted onto what is obviously the P-type chassis.

Now who has the correct car? Strictly interpreted, the Triple-M register
rules say he who has the (original) number has the car. But this seems
to test the rules. I'm awaiting an official response from the Register
in England.

Regards,
Lew Palmer<