Oil-filter for P-L-K-N

To: "Pete and Fran Thelander" <pthelander@earthlink.net>, <TATERRY@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>, <mgtom@bright.net>
Subject: Oil-filter for P-L-K-N
From: "Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 18:31:30 +0100
Cc: <THEBREED@bigpond.com>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
A filter, which I found usable for P-K-L-N,is tested by many friends of
mine, and is:

MANN-Filter Micro-Top No.  H614X or H614N. The difference between the two
are only the included gaskets, which we dont need.

The filter is made for the Mercedes (various types from 1977-1993),and costs
about 5,-uro.
Same type is also made by other manufacturers.
This paper-filter is about 1 inch shorter than the original felt-filter, and
needs a longer spring (old valve-spring will do) on top, than the original.
It has a rubber ring-seal each side, and the smaller of them nicely fits the
bottom-hole of the filter-casing.
What I do since some months, is to forget the spring-loaded by-pass valve,
and fit instead on top of the filter a solid aluminium disk, which is
pressed down on the filter when the cover is fittet. I always was worried
about how much oil escapes unfiltered through this valve, because as soon as
I did not use the valve, my oil-pressure was about 5 pounds lower.
When You watch the oil-pressure as normal from time to time, and change that
cheap filter at oil-change intervals, is somebody seeing any other danger by
no fitting the valve ??
I know there is another valve in the oil-pump itself, so nothing can burst,
and I think it is unlikely, that within hours the filter could be blocked so
badly, that there in not enough oil-pressure for the bearings.

Please send me Your comments, if You see any reason why it could be wrong to
do that !

Gerhard

PS. To seal the cover of the filter-housing, I stretch a thin O-ring around
the collar of the
    cover. No gasket no silicone, and tighten only harder when leaking a
bit.

----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----