J2 Xmas Presents

To: <TATERRY@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: J2 Xmas Presents
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 16:49:38 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Yesterday I received my Christmas presents for the J2. Two new black leather
upholstered bucket seats,  full supercharger installation for the J2,
including Marshall A75 rebuilt blower, J3 chromed exhaust manifold, muffler
and fish-tail, aluminum blower nose covering, various brackets, oilers,
cables etc.
I also have a new reproduction J2 block, new 1 5/8" counterbalanced
crankshaft, new Triumph aluminum rods and bearings.
Now my J2 ( J-3017 ) is not quite running, maybe by late spring. It has the
original engine, sleeved to standard block, new MG CC counter balanced crank
with 1 1/2" journals and babbit rods with 1/4" BSF rod bolts and floating
top end. The engine is supposedly rebuilt by previous owner.
I also have a complete J2 engine and gearbox left over from a Sprite
installation on a different car ( NO, I did'nt do it!! ) , so have all the
miscellaneous parts to complete an original J2 engine as well as the major
parts for a new engine.
Now my dilemma:
1-Is it safe to run the original engine with 1/4" rod bolts ( they are
TINY! ).
2-Assuming I put together a new engine using the new block, crank, rods, and
Marshall blower, should I buy a new J4 type nose piece to allow use of a
water pump? My friends J2 always overheated. Buying a new nose piece keeps
the extra J2 engine intact.
3-How much has to be removed from the block bore sides to clear the Triumph
aluminum rods?
4-Are the Triumph rods good?
5-Any other rods that are better than fat aluminum Triumph that seem to
require a lot of meat taken out of the block?
Whew, bunch of tough questions but I would appreciate any input.
I have never rebuilt a J2 or MMM engine. I do have a lot of experience on
XPAG engines and am prepared to learn the J2.
Best  regards and Happy Holidays from Canada.
Bob Grunau