fit ups

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: fit ups
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 15:22:46 EST
Cc: THEBREED@bigpond.com
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Gents, may I interupt your Holiday Schnaps a moment to ask a few questions?
I'm trail fitting the dizzy, h2o pump and oil pump to the engine nose piece(
what do we call that casting?).  I've never done this before, so please bear
with me.

1. When I tighten up the oil pump and dizzy ( without gaskets) they bind.
Since their shaft extentions nestle inside one another, their has to be some
freeplay, but I fear not on my set up....am I missing something?

2.  My water pump was overhauled by Pip and his guy in Oz (beautifully I
might add) and was returned sans gear and hole for roll pin but with slot for
key.  I have my old gear but must drill the hole.  How much of gap between
the housing and gear should I leave?

Also, does the gear tend to pull the impellor shaft downward?  If I push up
on it and turn, Tantau's fancy impellor hits the top of the pump casting.

3.  I have no shims for the dynamo, could someone suggest how many and what
size I'll need to set it up properly.......??

I'm sure I'll more questions as I try to puzzle this thing out.....

Happy Holidays
Terry
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol