Re: Starter Problem - '68 - 2000???

To: "roadster68" <roadster68@shaw.ca>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter Problem - '68 - 2000???
From: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster@schroeder-family.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:37:50 -0500
Hi Larry,

Not really as the starter needs to be under a load.  However, you can remove
the back of the solenoid and look at the switch contacts.  There two or three
screws (can't remember which) that hold the cover on.  Disconnect the wire
from the bottom terminal going to the starter motor and gently remove the
cover.  Be careful as the coil wire is attached to the small terminal.  On the
cover will be two large contacts connected to the two large terminals.  Inside
the solenoid you will see a big honkin' copper disk  When the solenoid pulls
in it engages the Bendix and slams the copper disk across the contacts feeding
battery power to the starter motor.  If the contacts or the disk is pitted
and/or burned you have your problem.

If you are the adventuresome type it can be repaired.  The copper disk can be
turned around.  The unused side will be clean and unblemished.  If the
contacts are burned they can be replaced.  However it involves removing the
terminals from the end plate and silver soldering new contacts to them.  Your
only other option is replacement of the solenoid.

Or, you can send it to me and I'll do it for you.  All it will cost you is
postage each way.  I can turn it around in a day or two.

Best regards,

Fred Schroeder
roadster@schroeder-family.us
Home page: http://schroeder-family.us
NRA Life Member

Behold the superfluous. They are always sick. They
vomit their gall and call it a newspaper.
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche   1844-1900