Starter Problem - '68 - 2000???

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Starter Problem - '68 - 2000???
From: roadster68 <roadster68@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:10:24 -0600
I need help before pulling the starter.  Have been restoring roadster since
1999.  Rebuilt engine, starter, etc.  Had engine rebuilder give me his
flywheel as he thought it was in better shape than mine.  Have timing set
where I hope it should be.  Tried starting the engine last weekend.  Woud
hardly turn over with plugs in and coil connected.  Pulled plugs and coil
but it made next to no difference.  Brand new battery has since been load
tested and checked out okay.  I am know going to pull the starter.  I have a
"feeling" that the problem lies there.  When it was rebuilt a few years ago,
I had the guy set it on his shop floor and give it the juice.  It kicked out
the solonoid and spun like crazy.  I figured this was okay.  I will pull the
started tomorrow unless someone can save me the pain.  What else could it
be?  Please anyone.  Larry.