Re: Starter Problem - '68 - 2000???

To: roadster68 <roadster68@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Starter Problem - '68 - 2000???
From: RacerY@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:47:13 +0000
It doesn't take much rotation to pump oil.  If you've spun the oil pump by
hand, it should have primed.  And then gotten pretty hard to turn as it
pressurized the bearings.    If it didn't get pretty darn stiff, the pump isn't
priming- which is bad.   You can try to help it by pumping oil back into the
main galley via the gauge port- sometimes this works if the pump is completely
dry, as the pump relies on a film of oil to get initial suction.

20 rpm with an electric drill gave me 25 psi on a 1600 engine.  And the drill
was pretty hard to hold onto.  Makes you realize why a 'high flow' pump isn't
always such a good idea.

But if the motor's bound, I'm afraid you should tear it down.  There are a lot
of odd places that things can mess up- including a sticking rear main seal.
Forcing it can just do more harm...

Sorry.

Toby

  Also had been rotating the oil pump w/ a hand held