voltage regulator ad nausem

To: "Datsun Roasters" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: voltage regulator ad nausem
From: <girault@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:47:51 -0500
Bob (RWM):  Thanks for the comment.  I'm not of the level to be adding
resisters, capacitor, and diodes to achieve a 6VDC buffered supply.  I am
enjoying trying to figure out how this little device works and how  to get my
gas and temp gages working. However, your suggestions would not solve the job
requirement which John Sandhoff pointed out of different ambient temperatures.
That's a fascinating aspect of the design. Surely there could have been a more
straightforward and simpler design to measure the temp and gasoline level.
But if that's the way they built it, that's the way we have to deal with it.
Pat pointed out that the darn thing cycles 2 times per second in order to
achieve the right voltage.  That means that the contacts are opening and
closing constantly when the tank is at a certain level.  Seems like that would
burn out the contacts in short order.  My feeble mind has not put this all
this together yet.  I've soldered the copper strip back together on the back
(it may or may not be a fuse) and made sure that the thing is grounded better,
and am still looking for a answer to why my gas gage don't work.  Fun isn't
it??  Girault Jones