Re: Starter Problem - '68 - 2000???

To: roadster68 <roadster68@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Starter Problem - '68 - 2000???
From: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:50:47 -0700 (PDT)
> ...Now it looks like the engine is totally bound up somewhere.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

If you used lots of assembly lube on the bearings, and they weren't
too tight to begin with, I kinda doubt it's a seized bearing. However,
one item that bit me once: Did you use oversize bearings, and if so,
did the thrust bearing clearance get properly adjusted? (The thrust
bearing is on the SIDE of a main bearing and rides against the crank
journal. On an oversized set it will be thicker than std.)

My gut feeling is that a piston is hanging up in a bore...

> The mechanic suggested backing off the cam bolts to see if the
> problem is there.

Oooh, be very careful. The U20 is an interference engine, if the cam
isn't keeping time with the crank you'll run into an open valve with
a piston. I suppose you can loosen the cam bearings and let all the
valves close... watch out for the followers and springs and lash
pads all trying to get away... (note: don't intermix where each
follower goes if the engine has run. Cam lobes and followers 'wear
in' with each other and get really upset if they get moved later)

Make sure it isn't something simple like a jammed oil pump. Pull the
dizzy and drive gear. While you've got that apart, you can also cut
the handle off a long flat screwdriver, chuck the shaft in a drill
and use it to spin the oil pump COUNTER clockwise to build up oil
pressure. In about 15 seconds you should have oil flowing all over
the cam. Watch out for where that little dizzy oil line is :-)

Pull the fan belt, too, if you haven't already.

-- John
    John F Sandhoff  sandhoff@csus.edu  Sacramento, CA