Re: Starter Problem - '68 - 2000???

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter Problem - '68 - 2000???
From: roadster68 <roadster68@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:11:45 -0600
Hello List,  Well last night I pulled the started half expecting to see the
gear all mashed up from the flywheel.  However, it and flywheel looked okay.
Both it and the flywheel are very dry.  Should they be greased up a bit?  So
far I have eliminated the following:
1.)  Engine - well oiled and hand turned okay w/ spark plugs out,
2.)  Battery - new and load tested last week,
3.)  Starter - Rebuilt about two years ago and just tested it outside the
roadster yesterday.  I took it out before getting a listers suggestion to do
some voltage testing.

In my mind, it now looks like my engine compartment - wiring harness may be
the culprit.  I had rebuilt it like everything.  My roadster is a '68 as
best as I can tell.  It has the proper serial # and the corresponding "6 -
fuse" fuse box.  The harness was so messed up that I ended up buying a
decent used one from the list.  I believe it was from a '69 which has the
"8 - fuse" fuse box.  I added parts from my old harness to complement the
new one.  And yes I did try to purchase a new harness a few years back but
neither the vendors nor anyone else on the list had one.  There appear to be
more wires coming off the '69 starter/solenoid than the '68.  Could this be
the reason why the starter is turning over the engine so slowly.  Is doesn't
appear to be getting the full juice from the battery?  I know someone has
the answer.  Even if  Idid screw up something on the harness.  PS  I did
drop off the starter at another shop today.  He will strip it down and let
me know if he finds anything.  In the mean time any other suggestions would
be appreciated.  Larry.