Re: Starter Problem - '68 - 2000???

To: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Subject: Re: Starter Problem - '68 - 2000???
From: roadster68 <roadster68@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:44:26 -0600
Hi John,   I know very little about the type of bearings and clearances.  I
had the engine built by a roadster guy who once owned the car.  He and a
buddy who is a porshe mechanic built the engine for me.  They used a machine
shop that builds race engines and the machinist was very maticulous.  The
mechanic did mention loosening the cam bearings just enough to see if the
problem is in the upper engine area.  Also I have removed starter,
distributor, alternator, fan belt etc.  I have been turning the motor by
hand for some time now.  Also had been rotating the oil pump w/ a hand held
drill a number of times.  I have never had the engine turning over enough to
pressure up the oil pump and force oil in to the various bearings.  I don't
imagine just rotating the oil pump would do this.  Larry.