RE: cloud of smoke on start-up

To: Matt Peterson <pete_303@hotmail.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: cloud of smoke on start-up
From: "HUBBARD, Charles" <chubbard@shl.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 07:00:56 -0700
Matt,

I think you may want to perform a compression test before you pull the head.
That would at least help rule out other likely problems.  Sounds like you
could have an oil  ring out on one of your pistons or valve trouble. Pull
the plugs and see if any are gas or oil soaked.  See if someone else in the
area can test for hydrocarbons in the radiator.  That is an important test.
My personal experience is that it's not worth pulling the head until you
have some idea what you are trying to fix.

Charlie Hubbard
1964 SPL310