Re[2]: cloud of smoke on start-up

To: Graham Evans <evansg@erols.com>, Gary Gerding <ggerding@tconl.com>
Subject: Re[2]: cloud of smoke on start-up
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:09:32 -0700
I doubt there's enough oil in the dampers to cause the smoke you're seeing.
Like Russ indicated, it's probably bad valve guides in the head (or other
serious problems like a crack).

With the carb dampers, just fill it. Any overflowing oil will be absorbed
into the intake and should not cause any problems. People experiment with
different types of oil to achieve different reaction of the piston on
acceleration. The most consensus I've seen is to use 20wt autotrans fluid.

With no oil, or very light-weight oil, you'll get a fast-acting rise of the
piston and needle, resulting in quicker acceleration. But this presents a
rough idle and is good for racing.

With heavy-weight oil, you'll get a slow rise of the needle and slower
responsiveness, but you'll have a smoother idle.

Fred - So.SF