Re: cloud of smoke on start-up

To: "Gary Gerding" <ggerding@tconl.com>
Subject: Re: cloud of smoke on start-up
From: "Graham Evans" <evansg@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:59:24 -0400
You are correct.  As far as I know, the recommended fluid is SAE 30 oil.  I
have seen one note on the list that suggested transmission fluid to get
quicker response from the carburetor.  I have not tried this so I do not
know if it really makes any difference.  When you first unscrew the plastic
knob on the top of the carburetor and start to withdraw it you should feel
some suction as the piston on the end of the stem moves through the oil.  If
you do not feel any resistance then you are probably low on oil or the seals
may be shot.  If you look down the cylinder where you removed the knob you
will see a ridge part way down.  Fill with oil to a little below this ridge.
If you overfill it the excess will leak down into the carburetor.  No harm
done, but this is the cause of smoke on initial start up.  You should feel
the resistance again when you put the knob back on the carb.  This knob is
not a dipstick, but functions as a damper to slow down changes in fuel flow.
If it does not work correctly due to no oil or bad seals, you often get
backfiring or a sort of bobbling when you let off the gas suddenly.  If you
do need to replace the seals, I think it is a pretty easy and inexpensive
repair.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Graham
68 1600