Paint

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Paint
From: gerry@speedy.att.com
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 14:24 EST
RE:paints;

When I took both my cars to be painted this year, I asked the guy who
was doing the work what he was going to use. He said Imron (?), and when I
quizzed him why he wasn't using acrylic laquer, he answer made sense.
"Why use old technology ?". Paint technology has come a long way in the
past ten years, and it really pays to use the latest and greatest.

After seeing the results, I can attest that the paint he used on my cars
is excellent, it has a very deep gloss, shows no signs of orange-peel and
really lets the color come through. I don't think that the best acrylic laquers
could even come close.

Before I start to paint, I would get sme good books on the subject and talk to
some good painters - it really helps to avoid the common mistakes.

The only mistake that I made when I prepped the Midget, was that instead of
stripping the old paint off, I spent 2 weeks sanding with finer and finer paper
before I put the primer on. On reflection, I should have bought a gallon of
water-soluble paint removed and taken the body to bare metal. It is quicker
to strip vs sanding and paint remover can get into crevices where a sanding
is very difficult.

Gerry