RE: paint

To: "mrmike@fasun0.even.ge.com"@HERMES.intel.com
Subject: RE: paint
From: gendimen@t12sys.intel.com (Geronimo x54903 page 951-3432)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 91 07:05:32 -0800

>1) What type of primer is best for wheels/ for body parts
>2) ditto for topcoats
>3) Is there an accepted color match for the Triumph silver wheel paint?
>4) How about TR body colors?

>and they don't have a silver that's anywhere near as grey as the wheels
>should be.  I'm bringing them my spare wheel for an example, but I don't
>know how close to the original color it is after all these years.
>Maybe all the examples I've seen have aged???

Sounds like you've got a lot of painting to do.  As far as the wheels, your
spare wheel is probably aged, metallic colors, especially silver are difficult
to match after a lot of weathering.  Either someone on the net may have a
specific color to use or try the local auto paint shop for a larger selection.
Whatever color you use on the wheels, make sure it's done with polyurethane
paint.  It's very tough and resistant to chips and road abuse.  I had my GT6
wheels done at an industrial paint shop.  The body shops didn't want to fool
with them or they were very expensive.  If you want nice paint on your car,
find the color you like and have the shop recommend the primer and topcoats.
There are lots of types of body paint and they can recommend what they have
depending on how much you want to spend.  When I worked in a body shop ten
years ago there was only enamel, lacquer and the urethanes were just coming
out.
I'm sure it's changed a lot since then and most shops have a person that
handles the paint only.  If your going to prep the car yourself, make sure
it's done correctly (correct primer, sanding,etc.)or the best paint won't help.
Good luck and happy painting!!!

Mike Gendimenico
gendimen@t12sys.intel.com